As urticaria and angiodema increase in the tissues and swelling extends due to allergic reaction with a substance, when the lips, tongue,throat, and lungs become involved, a persons condition can become critical for immediate treatment. Especially when related to respiratory symptoms as breathing may be entirely disrupted or stopped.
- Seafood especially shellfish.
- Nuts more commonly ground nuts or peanuts although others can be involved.
- Dairy products
- Wheat products
- Multitude of drugs
- Insect stings e.g. bees or wasps. Venoms often lead to anaphylatic shock and need prompt attention.
- Usually associated with specific allergens food, drug or insect.
- Appearance of symptoms appear within 5 -60 minutes.
- More rarely several hours to days.
- Fast onset that progresses rapidly usually indicate medical treatment is required as they can be life threatening.
- Severe cases hypotension (drop in blood pressure light headedness) occurs with bronchospasms(prolonged contraction of the smooth muscle of the bronchi and bronchioles in the lungs). This narrows and obstructs the airways. Note this also happens in asthmatic attacks
Look into latest research
on the mast cell underlying cause page.
Contact us for alternative treatment advice